On March 18, 1875, a small group of Swedish immigrants got together to form Svea Lutheran Church. A lot has changed since that time, but one thing has remained the same...Our desire to worship Jesus Christ.
Our beautiful church sits at the top of the hill off of Highway 63 between Red Wing, Minnesota and Ellsworth, Wisconsin. We are a caring, friendly congregation that loves visitors! Stop in for worship and spend the afternoon in "Pretty Red Wing" or tour the lovely small Wisconsin towns bordering the Mississippi River.
A Little Svea History
The church building was completed in 1878 and was 32' x 26'. Pastor Jonas Magny was the first permanent pastor. In 1899, a steeple was added with a bell added in 1904. Stained glass windows were installed in 1937. 1938 brought electricity and a year later, a tradition that lives on today with the church being outlined in lights during Advent and Christmas.
Pastor Dean Lundgren (a Swede who insists on Lutefisk for Christmas dinner) was installed as Svea's 15th pastor in 2015.
Pastor Dean and the entire Svea congregation welcome you!